Jun 14, 2009

Duke Ellington Jazz Festival





I got a nice surprise this weekend. On Saturday and Sunday I attended the Duke Ellington Jazz Festival on the Mall in front of the Washington Monument. I saw a few groups, but the highlights for me were The Terence Blanchard Quintet and The Nicholas Payton Quartet.

What made Nicholas Payton's set so special was the surprise inclusion of two of my current favorite musicians, bassist/singer Esperanza Spalding (top) and drummer Karriem Riggins (second). I had no idea they would be performing, so I was a little bit in shock when I saw them setting up for their equipment. It was the highlight of my week. Maybe my month! I managed to take some interesting shots, thanks to being able to get right in front of the stage. There are more shots here.

No comments:

Post a Comment